25 April 2008

It's late in the day...

I usually write this blog first thing in the morning when my brain is fresh and I haven't been burdened down by the stresses of the day. (You can be a lot more positive when you haven't been "beat down" yet...) But this morning, that just didn't happen and as a result, whatever thoughts I had at 6:30 this morning have been burned away by the heat of the day.

We have been celebrating Staff Appreciation all week at my office. The Human Resources Department has done a phenomenal job of acknowledging the staff for their contribution to the firm. Every day, a different event was planned for the staff, ranging from a breakfast to a chocolate fountain extravaganza to free lunch today..and it has all been very nice. I overhead a co-worker remark, "you know, one of these events would have been sufficient and nice enough, but to do a whole week of events is amazing." When I heard this remark on yesterday, I agreed and thought, 'you know, she's right - this is amazing. There are many firms that are not even acknowledging their employees at all. I am blessed to work for such a fine company.' But the thought just hit me (and I do mean, "just" - as I was typing this even...): how often do we stop our blessings because we think they are "too much"?

I know that seems like a crazy concept, but hear me out (and I hope I can express what I mean)...why wasn't the comment just: "this week of events has been amazing and I have enjoyed every one of them"? Why would you even want to limit the recognition to one single event? If the firm is willing and able to expend the time, energy, and money - why not just accept all the blessings of the week? And taking it to a spiritual realm, if Christ was willing to come down to earth and sacrifice His life for you, why not just accept the salvation offered?

I've heard it told that one of the things that will happen when Jesus returns to this earth and then takes us back to heaven with Him is that we will be shown all the blessings we COULD HAVE HAD here on earth if we would have just asked...and received. I figure, why block my blessings? Matthew 7:7 states, "Ask and it will be given unto you..." So, that means God is willing to give us the desires of our hearts, we just ain't asking for them! And if you don't ask, you cannot receive. Hmmm...

Just something to think about over the weekend. I pray that yours is blessed - whatever your plans.

No comments: