18 February 2010

100 Days


It was November 2009 that a Facebook friend challenged me (and all her other friends) to write what they were thankful for as their status every day. Her challenge, in commemoration of the Thanksgiving holiday, was supposed to be for the month of November only. I remember thinking, “Wow. That is a great idea” and so, I took up the challenge. I figured it would be easy to do and fun to look back at later, so not only did I post my thanks as status updates, I kept a log of my posts. It became a habit and such a great reminder of God’s goodness to me, that I kept up the practice long after Thanksgiving and the challenge was ended. Tomorrow will mark day 100 of my “thankful” notes to the Lord. It has been interesting. In re-reading my notes in order to write THIS blog, I was reminded again of God’s faithfulness to me through the last 100 days.

Some of the entries are funny: Day 10: Wed, Nov 18th: "Today I am thankful that:...my co-workers helped my personal caloric intake by devouring the box of dessert treats a friend dropped off at my house on yesterday." And Day 26: Friday, December 4, 2009: "Today I am thankful that..." I was able to help stimulate the economy...and re-stock my closet at the same time!"

Some were tributes to friends who were/are doing great things, not only for me, but for others: Day 48: Sabbath, December 26: "Today I am thankful for...John E Parker, who following the unction of the Holy Spirit, has started the FB Group, READ THE BIBLE THROUGH IN 2010. Praying for him as he allows God to minister to the masses, including me, throughout the coming year." And Day 96: Monday, February 15, 2010: "Today I am thankful for...the book FRAGMENTS and the reminder to stop and pause every once in a while to enjoy the small things around me."

There were entries to thank Him for safe travels and commutes. Day 36: Monday, December 14, 2009: "Today I am thankful for...a commute through the fog ... and not the rain!" and Day 78: Thursday, January 28, 2010: "Today I am thankful that...angels work overtime and don't take coffee breaks early in the morning. "I got angels watching over me" Amen, y'all !!"

Entries that said “Thanks” for healing during illnesses – mine and those of my friends. Day 38: Wednesday, December 16, 2009: "Today I am thankful that...my 19 year old friend who had brain surgery last Wednesday went home today - healed by the Great Physician. Y'all betta praise Him!" and Day 33: Friday, December 11, 2009: "Today I am thankful that...my grandmother is "busting out" of rehab (with her doctor's permission). Still a road of recovery ahead, but at least she will be home. She is so excited! Thank you for all the prayers and love shown during this time."

Veiled comments about blessings that only I understood what I really meant. Day 86: Friday, February 5, 2010: "Today I am thankful that...sometimes you can move past a past mistake and come out on the other side a bigger and better person."

This project has been easy (because there is ALWAYS something you can say “thank you” for) and yet difficult as well. The commitment to find the time to do it every day has been challenging and there have been days that I “missed” and had to go back and fill in a “thanks”, but fortunately, those have been few and far between. So, now the question is, will I keep recording my “thank you”s? Probably. Going back to re-read the entries blessed me in ways I cannot explain. It reminded me of God’s love, goodness and mercy to me, my loved ones, family and friends since November 10, 2009. And sometimes, you need the reminders.

In case you were wondering: my favorite “thank you” post? The one when I really didn’t know what to say: Day 40: Friday, December 18, 2009: "Today I am thankful for...shoot! What is there NOT to be grateful / thankful for...?"

Be blessed.

© 2010 Kristina E. Smith

No comments: