31 January 2009

I'm so motivated!

(This was actually written earlier this week, but posted to another blog I contribute to in error. Oops! - Enjoy!)


Some of you may know that I am a diabetic, so losing weight this year is important to me on a number of levels. As a diabetic, every three months, I have to have a specific blood test done (called an A1C test) that basically takes measure of my blood sugars for a three month period and then gives a result. My doctor wants my A1C to be in the 5.0 to 6.0 range. At my worst, my A1C was a 11.4, but sort of stabilized for the last year or so in the 7.2 to 7.8 range - not bad, not great, just ok.


On last Thursday, I had my A1C test done and for the first time in the three years since I have been diagnosed with this horrific disease (ok, when you LOVE food like I love food - you don't want any disease that demands that you watch what you eat!), my number was below 7.0: 6.8!!! That is MAJOR! I am so proud of myself that I think I've hurt my shoulder reaching back to pat myself on the back since I got the news. AND this morning, for the first time in a long time, my fasting blood sugar was below 100! (It should be between 90 and 110 - it is usually 120 to 140).


BUT this has motivated me in ways I cannot even begin to explain to you. My doctor has been preaching to me for three years - "Exercise, watch what (and how much) you eat, exercise, control your sweets" and I heard, but didn't listen...if you hear what I'm saying. Now that I see that the results of controlling my portions, eating more vegetables, cutting back on the pasta and rice (which is major for me), and especially putting exercise into the routine - all of this is making a difference - and I want the differences to continue.


Sometimes we want to see BIG results immediately in order to stay motivated to do the things we know we need to do for our good health. Let me encourage each of you that it is in the consistent, baby steps and small changes that we make every day that will add up and make the difference. And this applies to our spiritual lives as well. (Just thought I'd throw that in there...)


I am involved with a group of about 15 women at work who, as a group, have decided that for the next five months, we are moving from "Fat2Fit" (ok, I HATE the name of the group, but love the concept behind it). Everyone is doing their own thing - 'cause let's face it, every thing don't work for everybody. Some are doing Weight Watchers, some NutriSystem, we even have one woman who is skinny as a rail to the rest of us who is just there for moral support and encouragement. But the group support - the "thumbs up" in the break room at lunchtime - the smiles of encouragement - have all been a blessing to me and keep me pumped as I move towards my goals.

Finally: just a warning to all the men out there: If you didn't love me when I was "fat and fabulous", don't even TRY to step to me when I am "fit and fine" - which I will be...sooner than you think! So, show love now! hahaha.

Be blessed.

No comments: