02 February 2009

Learning about my friends...

Yes, this is another Facebook story. Recently, I wrote a note about "16 Random Things About Me" which I posted to Facebook and it has circulated my group of friends, especially the ones I "tagged" to ensure that they read what I wrote - and then encouraged them to write their own notes about themselves. The experiment has grown exponentially on Facebook and now people are writing up to 25 Random Things about Themselves (and retitling the note as it morphs and expands and grows). Can I tell you - I have learned so much about so many of my friends through these notes!

I have friends who have done some fascinating things in their lives and who are willing to candidly share that information with others. Granted, you are only supposed to be sharing with your friend, but in the ever-evolving world of social networking, it becomes like that old commercial - you tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends - and before you know it, hundreds of people are reading what you wrote - and in some instances, depending on how you have your profile with Facebook set up, even commenting.

As a blogger, I shouldn't say this, but I am continually stunned by some of the personal, intimate details that people are willing to share - and other people are willing to read - with and about total strangers. BUT on the other hand, as I read these stories about my friends (and believe me, some of them have been quite entertaining and creative as they are written), it has opened my eyes (yet again) to the wonder of God's creation. We all live here on the same planet, breathing the same air, having the same opportunities (for the most part) - but all of our experiences are different because of who we are and how we respond to the blessings given to us and sent our way. It is a wonderful thing to behold and I am so glad that my friends, old and new, have been willing to open up and share themselves with me in this forum.

I encourage people to keep writing, keep sharing. As we learn more about one another, we will discover that we really are God's Children under different skins and that the things that are common among us far outweigh the things that are different. And if you haven't written your 25 Random Things - what's stopping you? I, for one, am very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Be blessed.

No comments: