04 January 2009

Undivided attention...

Ok, I have a confession to make. I am a multi-tasker...yes, it is true. It is very rarely that I devote all my attention to a single task. While washing dishes, I'm on the phone. While on the phone, I may be doing laundry or getting ready for work or...well, you get the picture. In today's society, this can be seen as a good thing to be able to do and accomplish. I mean, there are only 24 hours in every day and there are things to do, people to see, tasks to complete - you need to have the ability to do more than one thing at a time, right? Hmmm.

I just wonder: how much am I missing out on by not truly focusing on one thing at a time? How many nuances in a conversation do I not catch because I am busy focusing on getting the temperature of the water for the dishes just right? How many silent cues that something is not quite right are flying over my head in the hustle and bustle of my trying to do this while doing that?

Lately I am convinced that maybe I need to slow it down a little. Stop and give some people in my life my undivided attention. Listen more to that "still small voice" that is telling me to focus on someone or something. And when prompted, move into action. I believe that one of the spiritual gifts that God has given me is the gift of encouragement - but how can you be an encourager if you are unaware of the area in which a person truly needs to be encouraged? You might look at a person's situation - i.e., they are in prison - and think "aha, that's what I need to encourage them about", when their true need is not a focus on WHERE they are, but on WHAT they need - support, kindness, a hug...something more tangible and real.

So, I need to focus. I need to follow up on conversations where a hint may be dropped about a situation or a need. I need to stop trying to do it ALL and just do what is truly important. I need to stop and listen to conversations - truly participate in them, instead of doing the "uh huh", "really", and "wow" automatic responses as I try to complete my "to do" list of the day. I need to send more cards, write more letters, get more involved. It won't be easy, I know. Old habits are hard to break, so pray for a sista, will ya? Thanks.

Be blessed.

No comments: