17 August 2008

It's the pattern, not the incident, that counts...

For the past week, I have been studying about the disciple John - first known as one of the "Sons of Thunder" (along with his brother James), but who, by the end of his life, was known as the "Beloved Disciple" of Christ. At church on Sabbath, we discussed how Christ looked at John at the beginning - looked past his brashness and quick temper - and saw the man he would become. [Did you realize that John was the only disciple who did not desert Jesus when He was put on trial and eventually crucified? John was also the only disciple at the foot of the cross when Jesus drew His last breath...no wonder he was called the Beloved]

The thing that struck me was this: Jesus never takes one incident in our lives and judges us based on that sole incident. John and his brother, James, came to Jesus and brashly asked to be set up as His "right hand" and "left hand" men when He established His kingdom. They also asked Jesus to rain down fire from heaven when the Samaritans didn't treat them the way they felt they should have been treated...I mean, these were some feisty brothers! Yet, Jesus looked past that and saw John's heart...saw his willingness to change...his desire to be more like Jesus.

I am glad that Jesus treats us all that way. There are things in my past that (praise God) only He and I know about - and He ain't telling nobody, so neither am I. I am also glad that, for whatever reason, He didn't take me while I was in the midst of my "wilding out" phase of life...that He looked at my heart and saw that, deep down inside where it really counts, I do have a heart bent towards Him and that I am striving every day to be the woman He wants me to be. He sees the pattern of my life and not the incident(s) of the past.

Thank God.

Be blessed.

No comments: