15 May 2008

A testimony: Always on time

"Before they call, I will answer; while they are still speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24 NIV



The month of May is always a stress financially - between my mother's birthday, Mother's Day, graduations and weddings - May is a "money depleting" month. You would think I would plan for it better, but I am always caught off guard by the amount of money I spend every May. To top it off, this year, I serve as Home & School Leader (similiar to PTA Chair) at my church's junior academy and have been called upon to provide gifts for ~50 students graduating from Pre-K, Kindergarten and the 8th grade over the next week or so. (CONGRATS to all the kids!) But, can I just say it: A sista is broke! And then yesterday, I got an email from the school's secretary asking if I would provide the funds for the celebratory cake to be served at the kindergarten ceremonies next week - to the tune of $60. (can you hear me sighing?) I agreed to do it, but truly was wondering where I would find the funds. And here's a small confession - I never prayed about the situation. Just said I would do it, figuring I save pennies, nickels, and dimes everyday for the school, so it would all work out.

Unbeknownst to me, God had a better/different plan.

I serve as team leader for the group of secretaries on the floor within the law firm where I work. Last month for Staff Appreciation Week, I pulled together small gift bags that included personalized coffee mugs filled with all kinds of goodies for each secretary. I was reimbursed from the firm and everyone said "Thank you" and trust me, that was sufficient for me. I figured it was just part of my job as team leader. But some of the secretaries took it upon themselves to say thanks in a more tangible way - and yesterday, presented me with a card that I thought contained $60! (Well, when I counted again, it was $80 - so God gave me a tip!) And it was RIGHT ON TIME!

But the story does not end there...I am not shy about testifying about the goodness of the Lord (you might have figured that out by now...) and so, as I was telling each of the secretaries a personal thank you, I also told them about how it was right on time and how God had blessed. Within 15 minutes, one of the secretaries handed me an envelope with $60 in it marked "For your cause." When I called her to tell her that I would not accept the funds and that she had done enough already - she responded, "Only God can tell me when I have done enough - not you." Now, how you gonna argue with that kind of logic? Again, "Before they call, I will answer; while they are still speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24 NIV

I don't know what you may be going through today, but I implore you to remember - God is ALWAYS on time and will deliver you - exactly when you need to be delivered.

Be blessed.

No comments: