22 May 2008

Making a Choice

Have you ever made a decision that later impacted your life in such a way that you often/sometimes wonder what your life would be like if you'd made another decision at the time you were at the crossroads? It could be something major - like a romantic breakup (my high school boyfriend still reminds me that my life was "irrevocably changed" when we broke up over a stupid fashion statement dispute) or inconsequential, like picking that bright red with blonde streaks color job in the 80s. No matter what - decisions we make - sometimes impulsively - can have a prolonged impact on our lives. I mean, my last name could now be Lester, according to said ex-boyfriend - and there are some pictures of me and past hairstyles that truly need to be destroyed and never shown to the world again ... EVER!

Every morning at 6:00a, I join fellow believers on a morning conference call that starts with a devotional thought and ends with prayer. This morning, our devotional thought was about this very subject. The text was taken from Joshua 24:14, 15 where Joshua declares, "if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Serving the Lord is a conscious, one you have to make for yourself, DAILY choice. I am not a proponent of the "once saved, always saved" doctrine. I believe EVERY day you must recommit yourself anew to the Lord. You have to CHOOSE to serve Him. Now granted, hopefully your relationship with Christ grows to the point that making this choice comes as easily to you as it does for you to breathe - you do it without thinking...but you still have to make the choice. I have found that you cannot rest on your laurels when it comes to your relationship with Christ. I recently heard a quote that I am totally paraphrasing here - "past victories don't guarantee future results". You cannot say, "Oh well, I accepted Christ when I was just a wee lad (or lass)" and never do anything else from that point on and think that is sufficient for your growth as a believer and child of God. You have to grow/develop every day - and you cannot do that without making a choice to do so.

I wish you well as you go through this day. I pray that you will make choices that have long-lasting, positive impact on your life and the lives of those within your circle of influence. And I especially pray that, if you haven't done so already, you will make a choice to align your life with the One Who gave His life for you.

Be blessed.

No comments: