21 May 2008

Midweek Meanderings

It has been a while since I've written - and not because I have nothing to say, but because life has just been B-U-S-Y!! Between court filings at work and graduations at church and gathering with friends just for the sake of memory making, a sista has been overworked, underpaid and running in circles. I need a break! Thank God for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday. Three days of doing nothing. I have already put my mother on notice - I do not plan to get out of my pajamas on Monday no matter what....but surely, I am not the only one who feels that way.

Are you feeling bogged down and overwhelmed? Have financial concerns weighed you down recently? Has hearing about one disaster after another quickly followed by another made you question - what the heck is going on? Have the ever-increasing gas prices put a drain on your mental, emotional and financial bank accounts? Do you wonder "when will it ever end?" I know that I have felt that way (A LOT) recently. I get my CNN Breaking News updates and groan. I mean - who ever heard of a natural disaster taking out 50,000 people in one fell swoop? I get my WSB TV Headlines at Noon emails and sigh. Is there no good news anywhere? I watch the political race and even though I have picked my candidate and will vote in November, I tremble because I know NO MATTER WHO IS ELECTED, nothing is really going to change - and even if it does, the change will not be swift in coming. You cannot just stop the wheels of political wheeling and dealing overnight and reverse the momentum and effect change. The ONLY thing that keeps me sane (and I know I have friends reading this going - "she's sane?") - is that I know WHO is ultimately in control of what seems like foolishness to me.

We are living in an amazing time as believers. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled right before our eyes. In Matthew 24:7, we are told "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places." Uh, hello! Tornados have hit the metro Atlanta area where I live three times since March 2008! If that ain't "pestilences...in divers places...", I don't know what is! So, what do we do? Huddle under all the blankets and pillows we can find (as one of my friends admitted doing on her Facebook page earlier this week) in fear of what might happen - or, "lift up [our] eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh [our] help" and know that God is still in control of all the foolishness. (See Ps. 121:1 for that scriptural reference). I opt to look to the hills, but even as I type that, I know that I am still acting as if I am not living on borrowed time. I KNOW the issues God and I are struggling with...ok, maybe He's not struggling, but I sure am! Believe me, temptation comes in many shapes/forms/manifestations. [Pray for a sista, will ya?]

All that to say, things may look crazy. The sky above may be green and orange and every color but blue; the storms may be raging - physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, in every which way you can think of...but remember the promise in Jeremiah 29:11 (my favorite promise in the Bible, by the way): "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..." No matter what you are going through, God's plan is for you to get through it triumphant and victorious. And that is my prayer for each of us...victory in Jesus.

Be blessed.

No comments: