10 March 2009

The Japanese Magnolia Tree - Part Two


On March 23rd, it will be two years since my mother retired from the workforce - and two years since I planted a Japanese Magnolia tree in our front yard as a memorial to this accomplishment. I wrote about this tree and the abuse it sustained at the hands of this "less than" gardener earlier, so as we approach this anniversary, I figured I'd give you an update. The tree has survived!! AMEN, drumroll, applause...! And as you can see, has SEVERAL blooms on it. (Sorry the close-up is a little blurry, but aren't they beautiful!?)

In the last blog I wrote about this tree, I talked about how it thrived, even despite the abuse heaped upon it by me - pouring coffee on it, not watering on a regular basis - but I truly was surprised to not only see buds on the tree this year, but to actually see blooms on the tree. (And with the rapidly changing weather here in HotLanta - one day they were buds, the next day, blooms)

I love my little purple flowers on the tree. I cannot wait for the tree to become more robust and strong and sturdy and for my yard to be littered with purple blooms...it will come. Slowly but surely. And how do I know that? "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activitiy under heaven ...a time to plant and a time to uproot" (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 3) One of the most amazing promises in the Bible is God's promise of stability. And don't we need that in times like these? Summer will follow spring, autumn will follow summer, winter will follow autumn and just when you have had more than your fill of snow, cold, wet, yucky weather - spring will follow winter.

So, just as my tree seemed dead this past winter - right now, you may be going through a season of "deadness" - someone you love is ill or dying; your job situation is bleak; and let's not even talk about what's going on in your 401K or stock portfolio or wherever else you might have placed your financial future - according to God's promise: Spring is coming. Hang in there until it blooms and blossoms in your life.

Be blessed.









No comments: