11 November 2008

Transformation...

So, after six years (almost to the day!), I decided to cut off my locs. Now, since I'd been thinking about it for a while (and even hinted of my plans to a few people), I was AMAZED at how people reacted when they saw me for the first time "post-locs". While the comments for the most part were positive ("Oh, you look so much younger...and slimmer), there were a few comments and reactions that ... I cannot, even now, explain how they affected me. There was my fellow church member who called me to say, "I heard the good news...Praise the Lord!"; and the co-worker who said, "Now you have SOPHISTICATED hair"; and another co-worker who, throwing her hands in the air, exclaimed, "Thank you Jesus, she's finally seen the light and come to her senses." Really? Was it THAT deep? And what do you mean, "NOW I have sophisticated hair?" Is that to imply that before I was less than that? Or the comment, "you are so beautiful", implying that I wasn't just as beautiful with my locs. I beg to differ. It astounds me how my cutting my hair impacted other people. Some people took it personally. "But you looked so good with your locs." So, I don't look good without them? I just wonder if people think before they speak sometimes...and if I am guilty of the same thing when I think I am complimenting someone who has done something different - with their hair, or their clothes, or whatever.

Hmm....

And then I thought about this: when I truly gave my heart to Christ, did people notice? Was the transformation as obvious as when I cut my hair this past weekend? Did people (want to) say, "Wow, you are so much nicer, kinder, sweeter, (insert your favorite Christian attribute here)"? I don't know. I don't remember. But I hope so. Because that is really the ONLY transformation that really matters - the transformation of our characters to be more like Him and to reflect Him. Just something to think about.


Be blessed.

No comments: