24 June 2008

Count your blessings...

There's a song from my childhood: "Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings and you'll see what God has done..." I forget the rest, but how often do we focus on the "bad things" going on in our lives and fail to recognize all the good things that we are blessed with on a day-to-day basis. This hit home with me on yesterday as I rode to work and saw a man sleeping on the ground, under a tree, on the side of the road. It is not like I haven't seen it before, but for some reason, on yesterday, it struck a nerve. So, here's my "short list" of blessings that I am grateful for and that I pray I don't take for granted. These are listed in no particular order:

Life
Health
Strength
A job - especially in this economy
Family that loves and supports me
Friends who are there
Friends who are like family
Family who are more than friends
The ability to laugh
The capability to cry
Smiles on faces
Protection on the road
Riding the Xpress Bus instead of driving or MARTA
Great bosses
Clothing
Shoes (and lots of them)
A home that is safe, warm and cozy
Salvation
Calvary
Older people who love, nourish and support me and my endeavors
Food in the refrigerator...and freezer...and pantry
Ministry - to me - to others
The Bible - and the promises found within its pages
The ability to reason
Waking up each morning
Going to sleep at night
My nice comfy bed in which to go to sleep
Sunshine
Rain
Clouds
Rainbows
Music
Poetry
Photography
Vacation
Having a schedule with things to do on it

The list could go on and on and on...but I have to close this and move on to other things. When you get overwhelmed with all the things you see as "going wrong" in your life - take a moment, stop, and reflect on all the things that are "going right" in your life. I bet it will make a difference in your day.

Be blessed.

No comments: