28 January 2010

It's the little things in life...

We are all familiar with the quote “It’s the little things in life that count”. I have heard that saying several times in the last few days and it has struck a chord in my soul. I am a big proponent of “little things”. I still think it’s important to say “Please” and “Thank you”. I think birthdays and anniversaries should be celebrated – with gifts and cards – even if they are from the dollar store or are “recycled treasures”. I think “random acts of kindness” go a long way to making people feel better about themselves, and maybe even about you as the person who blesses them in that way. That’s just me. If I am out and about and see something that I think a friend, relative, co-worker might enjoy or benefit from, if it is within my means to get it, I usually do. Many of my friends have received the phone call, “Hey, I’m at so and so and I saw this and I know you like this, do you want me to pick it up for you?” (The recent Blockbuster store closings brings this to mind – LOTS of my friends got that call and got blessed by cut rate deals on their fav movies and/or TV series) And it is nothing for me to write a quick “thinking of you” card and drop it in the mail to a friend who crosses my mind. Nothing like going to the mailbox on a random day (not your birthday or anniversary, you’re not sick, nothing major going on, just an ordinary day), opening it up and seeing a handwritten note from a friend – just my opinion. And so I do it – not as much as I am prompted by the Lord sometimes to do it, but more and more these days.

Because, I’m finding out, in these days of tough economic crisis, horrific natural disasters, illness running rampant and death after death after death: it is the little things, the personal touches into a friend’s life, that are important. Sitting down and sharing a meal – important. Picking up the phone and actually having a conversation – important. Listening to someone vent – important. Making someone smile – important. And you know what? Most of this can be done by anyone, anytime, anywhere, at no (or little) cost. Some of the best gifts I have ever received, and that I cherish the most, are the ones that didn’t cost a thing. It’s all about paying attention, being aware, stepping outside yourself sometimes. It is often easy to get caught up in the “big things” going on in our lives and around us (see first sentence in this paragraph). Maybe by concentrating on some “little things”, the “big things” will fall more into perspective and focus.

And I am finding out that paying attention to the “little things” is Biblical. I have a goal to read through the Bible this year. (Thanks to my new Facebook friend, John E. Parker, who has started a group, READ THE BIBLE THROUGH IN 2010 – become a fan if you are on FB – you will be blessed!) And for the last couple of days, the reading has come from Exodus, where God is giving Moses the instructions on how He wants the sanctuary built. Ok, talk about attention to detail – attention to the “little things”!! From how the anointing oil is to be mixed to the dimensions of every piece of furniture to the design and placement of the washbasin – everything is meticulously detailed. So, there must be some value in paying attention to the details – to the little things.

I pray you will make time in your day and life to cherish the little things that make life worth living. I know that is my plan, aim and goal. Join me, why don’tcha?

Be blessed.

No comments: