05 January 2018

THE JOYS OF A HOT SHOWER




For almost 97 hours, I had not been able to stand under the shower spray of hot water in my own home.  On New Years Eve, my hot water heater sprang a leak, halting all showering in the house for almost 4 days.  What a way to start the New Year.  Have you ever noticed that you never seem to appreciate the simple joys of life until they are harshly stripped away from you.  Now, before you begin to imagine me walking around, being smelly and offensive, let me say:  Thank God for a job with gym facilities that include (free) showers and other amenities for its workers. 

Thanks to a home service warranty, today, Andrew of High Priority Plumbing, came to my home and fixed my hot water heater problem.  A few hours of draining, removal, soldering, hammering and other plumber technical stuff and I was told, "give it an hour, then you can run the hot water."  I was warned of potential air in the pipes and discolored water and after writing a check the size of Mount Rushmore, he went on his merry way and I crawled into bed for a quick nap before preparing to come to work.  I woke up a few hours later and in preparation for my work shift, took a nice, long, HOT shower in my own bathroom under my own customized showerhead with the massage function and perfect water pressure.  Oh, the joy!  Oh, the bliss!  Oh, the satisfaction!

Five minutes later, my bliss was shattered by a shout from my mother that the hot water heater was leaking...again!  WHAT!?  Turns out that in one of the pipes connecting the new heater to the old expansion tank, there was a hole.  A small, minute, you can barely see it, hole in the pipe. [I have attached a picture just in case you wanted to see what I was talking about.]  Yep, a small, minute, barely there hole ... but it was spraying a small jet of water over the washing machine, onto the floor and basically just causing a mess.  Again.

Fortunately, over the weekend, while waiting for the plumbers to come to the house, I purchased some teflon tape and was able to cover up the hole and stop the water from spraying all over the place, although there was still some seepage and small drips going on.  A call was made to the plumbing company to inform them of what happened and now I am just in a "wait and see" state until they can get back to me when they open in the morning.

This situation could easily cause me to be frustrated and irritable - and I have to admit, there is a little bit of that going on - but this is day four of a New Year in which I have determined to "exhale" my way through situations.  There is nothing I can do about this situation (beyond what I have already done) until 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.  My mom has checked the leak and the teflon tape seems to be warding off future damage to my laundry room and home.  I am confident that the plumbing company will "make it right" in a timely manner.  And somewhere, somehow, there is a lesson I am supposed to be learning.  Off the top of my head, the lesson is not clear, but once I figure it out, I'll be sure to share.

Until then, be blessed.  (and be patient, Kristina)
© 2018 Kristina E. Smith

No comments: