27 February 2012

Relishing THIS Moment

The late Whitney Houston sang a song, ONE MOMENT IN TIME, the opening lyrics of which are: 

Each day I live, I want to be, A day to give, The best of me.  I'm only one, But not alone, My finest day, Is yet unknown.

EARLY this morning, I was talking to a dear friend (and self-appointed President of my fan club - yeah, he's a little special) and was telling him about how overwhelmed I was by all the love, support, encouragement and tangible marketing ideas I have received from my friends since I announced the release of the book.  Things like offers for "Meet the Author" sessions at homes, leads on TV spotlights, book signings at churchs that I am and am not affiliated with directly ... the list goes on and on and on - and it's a little surreal ... to me.  To him, it is manifestation of the "pay it forward" theory that I say I believe in.  He told me, "For years, you have fed into the lives of your friends and now they want to feed into yours.  There have been many times you have felt unloved and unappreciated.  Now is the time when the tables have turned and the love and appreciation is pouring your way.  Stop, enjoy it and relish the moment."

Relish the moment.  Good advice to hear.  Harder for me to implement.  One of the lessons I am learning as I move through this journey God is taking me through is that I am more of a "giver" than a "receiver".  There are things I do "just because" that are second nature, don't even think about it, type things  Acknowledging birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions with a card, addressed, stamped and mailed is a no-brainer.  Calling someone when I find out that they are sick or have suffered a loss - again, do it without thinking because it is the "right" thing to do.  But, to have the focus turned back to me (unless it's November 14th), always makes me nervous, uncomfortable and ready to deflect the attention or praise to something or someone else.

According to my fan club President, I'ma have to get over that.  He is convinced that the spotlight is gonna be shining - and shining brightly - on me for a long while to come.  IF that is God's plan, I guess I will have to get used to it.  But I am holding all of YOU accountable for making sure I don't get the "big head."  If you ever hear me say, "yeah, I didn't book that engagement because they would not separate my M&Ms by color", I truly expect you to bop me upside my head in love.

Everyone who knows me knows that my favorite Bible text is Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you, saith the Lord.  They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."  I don't know what God's plan is ... for me, for the book, for anything ... but I am trusting and praying that I am worthy of whatever He sends my way.  So, I'm gonna take a deep breath, put on a smile and try my best to relish this moment.  Won't you relish it with me?

Thank you and God bless!

No comments: